Subject: Re: patch to allow /etc/ld.so.conf configure directories for ELF
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/11/1999 22:36:38
> There are several associated programs (foobazle, foowhatziz) that
> all share a common shared library called "libutil.so.4"

> Note that it does not link against the NetBSD system "libutil".

> This is _perfectly legitimate_, because the portable foozle package
> also uses the RPATH facility

Heh, I just realized why this isn't "perfectly legitimate" at all.  As
soon as some other package comes along which uses the NetBSD system
libutil and also some library it wants to install in /usr/pkg/lib,
lossage ensues.

Unless you put every package in its own little playground, you have to
pretend you have a single big namespace, just like with PATH.