Subject: Re: Sendmail and anti-spam
To: David Gilbert , John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: What EES eet man? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/02/1999 11:17:10
I have also a problem with requiring a valid A address!  Sometimes my
ISP relay has been out-of-date WRT its name server, so I wish to route mail
direct for short periods to prevent bounces.  But when I connect and someone's
mail router demands an A address for my host, and it doesn't match who
I say I am (without even checking that there is a valid MX for me!),
this creates a problem.

i.e. My host, proper, is named "starwolf.starwolf.com".  This is necessary
because I might have an internal network consisting of an IPX and an X Term.
This is, in fact, coming to pass soon.

However, I don't want to tell the WORLD I'm mailing from starwolf.starwolf.com
-- I just want them to see the domain (starwolf.com).  So that's who I say
I am.  My ISP doesn't have a problem with this because he's relaying my
mail (I'm not up 24x7 or I'd do it myself.  I can't afford the $100/mo for
a 24x7 connection).

Is there a way around this, or am I just kind of stuck in the water, or
do I need to re-evaluate my configuration, or...?

[I'm not clue-free, just clue-impaired at the moment...]

				--*greywolf;
--
Rule #1 of Role Playing Gaming:
	Never give the Gamemaster ideas.