Subject: Re: bind/named and nslookup
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/1999 12:24:42
[ On , February 19, 1999 at 06:35:26 (-0800), Michael Graff wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bind/named and nslookup
>
> woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> >
> > I think nslookup (and host) should be in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin.
>
> And dig.  And traceroute.  And ping in /sbin is annoying.  :)

I dislike "dig" so much I don't much care where it goes, just as long as
it does [go away]!  ;-)

Ping probably should be in /bin, but then again I don't really want to
make it any easier for naive users to try and debug networking problems
(not that "hiding" ping from their path really helps much).

I'm not sure about traceroute.  The same argument as that for ping might
apply, and if one doesn't hide traceroute then there's certainly no point
in hiding ping I suppose.

In the end it's host, ping, and traceroute, that I end up always typing
full pathnames for almost all of the time (I refuse on principle to put
/sbin and /usr/sbin in my PATH), and I do get a tiny burst of joy out of
not having to type their full paths when I'm running as root.

So I guess that all boils down to mean one of two things -- either I
should just cave in and add /sbin:/usr/sbin to my PATH, or that I'd be
really happy if anyone did do something about moving at least these
programs into a normal user's PATH.

--
							Greg A. Woods