Subject: Re: Has importing the FreeBSD malloc(3) been considered?
To: None <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/17/1999 20:48:06
> Another note is that I recompiled the entire system to use FreeBSD
> malloc and things were progressing without problem for a while, but
> there did arise one difficulty:  fsck_ffs was coring consistently
> on one of my file systems, and when I recompiled it with NetBSD
> malloc it stopped.  So something odd is going on there.
>
> Another note is that on NetBSD-current/alpha, the FreeBSD malloc(3)
> beats ours on all of the tests, yet on NetBSD-1.3.1/i386, the
> FreeBSD malloc(3) is a bit slower until memory is over-committed.

Have you tried to measure some non-artificial benchmark like "make build" ?
AFAIK, NetBSD malloc is heavily optimized for small allocations,
I remeber it had beaten GNUmalloc by large margin when I did tests
with my malloc-intensive application some time ago.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
Ustav vypocetni techniky Masarykovy univerzity, Brno