Subject: Re: ELF integration on a.out platforms
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Chris Jones <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/09/1999 12:32:31

Christos> 1. Static and _pic libraries.

Maybe it sounds callous, but why bother with them?  If the compiler is
changed so that it outputs ELF objects, what good do the static a.out
libraries do anybody?  Presumably, you're not going to be making any
new a.out objects, and the ones that you have are already linked
against the libs.  Can't we just replace the libraries with the ELF

Christos> 2. Versioning problems with for a.out

Again, I probably don't understand the full issues here.  But can't we
have an for a.out, and keep that separate from any similar
ELF facility?  Why do they need to interfere with each other at all?
Shouldn't the new major version number prevent old a.out binaries from
linking against the ELF, since they were linked against

Christos> 3. Confusion in a.out configuration programs.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're referring to here.

If all of this has already been discussed, please just tell me so, and
point me at the archives.

Chris Jones
           Mad scientist at large