Subject: Re: sanitising make(1) variable overrides
To: (Chris G. Demetriou) <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/30/1999 17:14:21
On 30-Jan-99 Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
#  yes, and then todd -- whose message i was replying to, not yours;
#  yours was not even quoted -- indicated that once there was a way to
#  generate cat pages from man pages automatically (at run time, etc.)
#  it'd be perhaps appropriate to only install the unformatted 'man'
#  pages.  That's bogus, just as bogus as somebody claiming that only cat
#  pages, or only both, should be installed all the time.

Indeed it is bogus to mandate it, as you've pointed out.

Do we have a mechanism by which we can (host-specifically,
of course) ...uh, _suggest_ to make(1) that the unformatted versions
should be installed?

[I'm digging myself in deeper, aren't I?]

                                --*greywolf;
--
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.