Subject: Re: when to create a separate filesystem, even on the same spindle (was: major hier(7) overhauls?)
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: James Graham - Systems Anarchist <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/29/1999 22:53:37
Greg A. Woods sez:
/*
 * Actually that's a really good reason for creating a separate /usr/home
 * partion, and has nothing at all to do with whether / and /usr should be
 * separate partitions or even separate hierarchies.  ;-)

[How do I set my laser prniter to 'KILL'?]

I think the general consensus is that '/ and /usr are NOT GOING TO
UNIFY, at least not under BSD.'  Can this thread _please_ go _away_
now?  The horse has been a bloody mess under the sun for the last
three weeks and, frankly, it's beginning to smell a bit, um, ripe.

 * balancing the I/O load suggests measuring it first, and so far as I know
 * there's not yet any way to separately measure the I/O stats for various
 * filesystems on the same spindle (ala UNIX SysV's "sadp").

There's that oxymoronic S-word again. :-)

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD -> Solaris:		It could be worse.