Subject: Re: Moving /var/cron/tabs
To: None <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/1999 00:23:26
> On Dec 18,  4:49pm, Curt Sampson wrote:
> } On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote (in tech-packages):
> }
> } > I'd really like to see these moved too. For now, a full
> } > backup of a system requires a backup of /var too, which is
> } > buggy.
> }
> } Right! I'd forgotten about that one, but while we're at it,
> } can we move /var/cron/tabs to /etc/crontabs or something
> } similar?
>
>      You would also have to worry about /var/account,
> /var/at/jobs, /var/log, /var/mail, /var/msgs, /var/preserve,
> /var/spool, and /var/yp.  Clearly, there are many things in
> /var that need to be backed up to get a full system backup,
> which means this suggested change is completely pointless.  I
> really don't see what the problem is or why Manuel considers
> this to be a bug.

Well, I guess this depends on how critical you consider all the
above to be.  Surely preserving folks print files in /var/spool
is not as critical as maintaining the automatic periodic system
maintenance functions.  True, /var/at/jobs is in the same
category, but most of the others aren't.

- H=E5vard