Subject: Re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/03/1999 00:37:12
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> it seems that a few non pidfiles  have now invaded /var/run. i'm
> interested in the idea of having all the pidfiles in one place.

Well, it's a nice idea, but a lot of third party software out there
checks to see if it's a `Berkeley-type' system, and puts pid files
in /var/run/ I don't really see a lot of point in breaking
this (which includes breaking `sysadmin compatability' with other
BSD systems) over a personal preference for `ls /var/run' rather
than `ls /var/run/*.pid | sed -e 's/`.pid$//' (a preference that
probably not everybody shares, anyway), given that this preference
can probably be reasonably well satisfied by a shell script (which
will also fix the problem with all the other data in sendmail's
pid file).

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: