Subject: re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/03/1999 18:27:59
   each time I make a smallish proposal I open a barrel of worms. :-(

:-)

   On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 01:44:32AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

   > FWIW, i prefer the name `/var/run/syslog'.
   >

   > however, kre's idea about what /var/run is is intriguing and
   > for now i don't know what the right thing to do is.

   As we already have lots of stuff in /var/run which is NO pid, including one
   socket, would it be acceptable to seperate the two issues? That is, mv
   /dev/log to /var/run/syslog for now, and fully define, discuss and implement
   a /var/run (& friends) reorganization later? I can do the former, and I need
   it at my working place, but do NOT have time to organize or implement the
   latter.

actually, i thought about this some more last night, and i like the
idea of leaving /var/run as it is (misc. machine state), and creating
a new /var/pid or /var/pids directory, for the purpose of holding
daemon pid files.  to me, `/var/run' doesn't say anything about what
it holds, except maybe `run time' /var stuff.  `/var/pid' says almost
exactly what it is...

comments?

(is: note that with the NetBSD source, you can make this change locally
and then when we get our act together on this issue, mirgrate to that.
this avoids (possibly) moving /dev/log twice..)