Subject: Re: Importing texinfo: proposal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/03/1999 03:38:58
On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:
> To dig up an old thread, I'd like to import texinfo 3.12 into the tree so
> that we can distribute and use the various GNU texinfo doc in our tree for
> the GNU tools.
>
> This would involve the following, designed as such to address prior concerns
> about such an import:
>
> - texinfo would build makeinfo, info, install-info, texi2dvi, and texindex.
> - The texi2dvi script would be changed to add a check to make sure some
>   kind of TeX is installed in $PATH.
> - info would have a manual page created.
> - info files would install in /usr/share/doc/info, and the default Info
>   directory would be in /usr/share/doc/info/dir.
> - all info files, as well as all /usr/share/doc files, would move to a new
>   distribution set, `doc'.
>
> Comments?

Yes - pkgsrc-related. What results will this have there?
Sure we can remove all the depending on the gtexinfo package
(USE_GTEXINFO), which I won't shed a tear for.

The in-tree info should know to look in /usr/pkg as well, maybe even
/usr/X11R6.

I would really prefer if the dir was /usr/share/info, semilar to
/usr/share/man. Else, we might consider moving our manpages to the
doc-section as well. .-) The same goes for pkgsrc - info files should go
to $PREFIX/share/info, and $PREFIX/share/doc should contain information
for individual packages.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>