Subject: re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/03/1999 01:06:10

   Please don't.   By all means, put it in /var somewhere, even create a
   new directory for daemons to place communication sockets (like
   /var/sockets/log or something), but not /var/run.

   It is real nice to be able to "kill `cat /var/run/*`" to get rid of all
   the daemons - constantly having to patch things which put other data in
   /var/run is constantly annoying.   (Sim: "ls /var/run" is useful).

   And no, for me at least, /var/run/*.pid is not a solution, I get rid of
   the annoyig ".pid" parts of the file names as well (it makes a listing
   of /var/run give a nice list of daemons that are running, or should be).

where does your definition of what `/var/run' is, come from?

hier(7) has this to say about /var/run:

	run/	system information files, rebuilt after each reboot

		utmp  database of current users; see utmp(5)

which is why i disagree with what you're saying above.  /var/run
is not jus for daemons, but for any `state' that is only relevant
for the current running version (eg, a PID).  the utmp file exists
in /var/run these days.  as does the device database (though i'm
not sure it shouldn't be in /var/db instead), and the ld.so hints
file (which i personally do not want hanging around after a reboot).

why isn't .pid a solution?