Subject: Re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: None <,>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/03/1999 00:43:41
    Date:        Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:59:45 +0100
    From:        Ignatios Souvatzis <>

  | I propose to change this to "/var/run/logsocket".

Please don't.   By all means, put it in /var somewhere, even create a
new directory for daemons to place communication sockets (like
/var/sockets/log or something), but not /var/run.

It is real nice to be able to "kill `cat /var/run/*`" to get rid of all
the daemons - constantly having to patch things which put other data in
/var/run is constantly annoying.   (Sim: "ls /var/run" is useful).

And no, for me at least, /var/run/*.pid is not a solution, I get rid of
the annoyig ".pid" parts of the file names as well (it makes a listing
of /var/run give a nice list of daemons that are running, or should be).