Subject: Re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/1999 16:08:42
Robert Elz sez:
/*
 * It is real nice to be able to "kill `cat /var/run/*`" to get rid of all
 * the daemons - constantly having to patch things which put other data in
 * /var/run is constantly annoying.   (Sim: "ls /var/run" is useful).

You can't do that, even now, if you're running sendmail (the first line
is the pid, the second is the command line by which it was invoked.  Made
it real easy to write a restart script.).

 *
 * And no, for me at least, /var/run/*.pid is not a solution, I get rid of
 * the annoyig ".pid" parts of the file names as well (it makes a listing
 * of /var/run give a nice list of daemons that are running, or should be).

Yes, but then you get fooled by things like dev.db, ld.so.hints and utmp.

The *.pid is nice so you know it's a PID and not something else.

 *
 * kre
 *
 */