Subject: Re: Importing texinfo: proposal
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/1999 22:31:52
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: Yes - pkgsrc-related. What results will this have there?
: Sure we can remove all the depending on the gtexinfo package
: (USE_GTEXINFO), which I won't shed a tear for.

Actually, I'd prefer to leave USE_GTEXINFO where it is; it can just evaluate
to null if /usr/bin/install-info and /usr/bin/makeinfo exist.

: The in-tree info should know to look in /usr/pkg as well, maybe even
: /usr/X11R6.

install-info is supposed to DTRT automatically.  I can make it look in
/usr/pkg too, of course, as a fallback for systems upgrading to 1.4.  I
don't think /usr/X11R6 has an Info directory (I think the directory nodes
are put in /usr/pkg/info/dir by install-info, but can someone correct me if
not?).

: I would really prefer if the dir was /usr/share/info, semilar to
: /usr/share/man. Else, we might consider moving our manpages to the
: doc-section as well. .-) The same goes for pkgsrc - info files should go
: to $PREFIX/share/info, and $PREFIX/share/doc should contain information
: for individual packages.

No real arguments here; that's fine with me.