Subject: Re: /dev/log -> /var/run/logsocket
To: tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/02/1999 21:12:14
each time I make a smallish proposal I open a barrel of worms. :-(

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 01:44:32AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> FWIW, i prefer the name `/var/run/syslog'.
>

> however, kre's idea about what /var/run is is intriguing and
> for now i don't know what the right thing to do is.

As we already have lots of stuff in /var/run which is NO pid, including one
socket, would it be acceptable to seperate the two issues? That is, mv
/dev/log to /var/run/syslog for now, and fully define, discuss and implement
a /var/run (& friends) reorganization later? I can do the former, and I need
it at my working place, but do NOT have time to organize or implement the
latter.

Regards,
	-is