Subject: Re: major hier(7) overhauls?
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/22/1998 12:13:44
[ On Tue, December 22, 1998 at 05:09:37 (-0800), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: major hier(7) overhauls?
> On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Shyeah right.  What am I gonna do with a gun rack? wrote:
> >
> > However, if you don't merge / and /usr, putting / and /usr on the same
> > physical partition is actually quite silly.  If you have the space to
> > do it, why not merge them?
> Well, for a start it makes it a lot more difficult to copy /, being
> a minimal bootable system, to /altroot (on another disk, of course)
> for use when you really trash your system....

It depends on what you mean by "a lot more difficult".  If you mean that
you have to dedicate a bunch more space, then yes, that's true.  On the
average CISC machine you can get away with / and /altroot being only
about 15-30MB, where merging them requires perhaps a minimum of 90-100MB.

> I think it's important to keep in mind that there are systems out
> there (such as Sun 3s) for which there's often no easy alternate
> boot method. If your drives are screwed, you're screwed. There's
> no floppy, and you may not be able to add a tape easily.

You can always add a tape to a sun3 if you already have a disk, assuming
you've got an appropriate tape drive to add.

I've never met a sun3 that wouldn't netboot either, assuming you've got
a network and a machine to boot from.

Some sun3's will even boot from SCSI CD-ROM, assuming you've got a drive
and bootable media.

Personally I'd call anyone who didn't have either a tape, or enough disk
to spare another 100MB, or a network and other machine capable of being
a server, a crazy fool.  Of course a crazy fool type of person could put
only the minimum of the binaries and other things in /altroot, but that
is indeed a "lot more difficult", unless of course you only put the
miniroot in /altroot.

Of course I'm not really serious about merging /usr into / in NetBSD, at
least not without complete consensus on the subject.  I just wanted to
point out that there are far more radical changes to hier(7) which at
least some people have thought about and for which there is "prior art".

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>