Subject: Re: major hier(7) overhauls?
To: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/22/1998 05:09:37
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Shyeah right.  What am I gonna do with a gun rack? wrote:

> However, if you don't merge / and /usr, putting / and /usr on the same
> physical partition is actually quite silly.  If you have the space to
> do it, why not merge them?

Well, for a start it makes it a lot more difficult to copy /, being
a minimal bootable system, to /altroot (on another disk, of course)
for use when you really trash your system....

I think it's important to keep in mind that there are systems out
there (such as Sun 3s) for which there's often no easy alternate
boot method. If your drives are screwed, you're screwed. There's
no floppy, and you may not be able to add a tape easily.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org