Subject: Re: major hier(7) overhauls?
To: Todd Vierling <cyber@ecst.csuchico.edu, tv@pobox.com>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/22/1998 01:09:41
cyber@ecst.csuchico.edu sez:
/*
 * Actually, this is not as bad an idea as it sounds.  I have systems with
 * smaller disks that i make / and /usr into a single partion (thought /var
 * is its own.)

CyberErik,

The issue is not having / and /usr on the same physical partition, as
Greg has been explaining.  The issue is _merging_ / and /usr so that
effectively /usr goes away, i.e. /usr/bin/* -> /bin/*, /usr/lib -> /lib,
/usr/sbin -> /sbin, /usr/libdata -> /libdata, /usr/libexec -> /libexec.

This is not to say that I agree with it, but I understand what he's
saying.  In fact, I'm more in favour of keeping things as they are, but
that's because I'm really a dinosaur in wolf's clothing, and because
I still find it worth the while to split up / and /usr.

However, if you don't merge / and /usr, putting / and /usr on the same
physical partition is actually quite silly.  If you have the space to
do it, why not merge them?  Outside of the extensive hackery which would
be necessary to build such a system that the hard-coded paths would work?

(ln -s . /usr, I suppose, would do the trick.)

Conversely, if you're going to split / and /usr, the least you can do
for yourself is to put them on different spindles or, if possible,
separate controllers.

 *
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Microshaft:  Where do you want to crash today?