Subject: Re: Moving /var/cron/tabs
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/19/1998 13:56:39
[ On Sat, December 19, 1998 at 03:15:50 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Moving /var/cron/tabs
>
> On Dec 18,  4:49pm, Curt Sampson wrote:
> } On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote (in tech-packages):
> }
> } > I'd really like to see these moved too. For now, a full backup of a system
> } > requires a backup of /var too, which is buggy.
> }
> } Right! I'd forgotten about that one, but while we're at it, can we
> } move /var/cron/tabs to /etc/crontabs or something similar?
>
>      You would also have to worry about /var/account, /var/at/jobs,
> /var/log, /var/mail, /var/msgs, /var/preserve, /var/spool, and
> /var/yp.  Clearly, there are many things in /var that need to be
> backed up to get a full system backup, which means this suggested
> change is completely pointless.  I really don't see what the problem
> is or why Manuel considers this to be a bug.

I think some people feel that almost everything in /var is "expendable"
to some degree where as configuration files of any kind are not (and I
even agree with this feeling in some circumstances).  In order to
satisfy that requirement one must move /var/cron/tabs out out /var.

When this is done I'd greatly appreciate if the doer moved the default
cron log file to /var/log/cron too!  (There's no need to reserve
/var/log for files writtent to only by syslog.)

--
							Greg A. Woods