Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1998 12:55:27
>>> [...], and if you want multiple programs that expect a
>>> /usr/sbin/sendmail to work you have to have some mechanism here.
>> Why should that be a stumbling block?  We already decommitted
>> support for the de-facto standard (/usr/lib/sendmail, for those
>> wondering what I'm talking about); what would losing
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail really lose us?
> Some sort of link is needed for binary compatibility, at this point.
> Binaries now expect /usr/sbin/sendmail user@host to DTRT.

I guess my point is, why?  Binaries may equally reasonably expect
/usr/lib/sendmail user@host to work (one major vendor OS I can easily
check has /usr/lib/sendmail and no /usr/sbin/sendmail in its latest
release), but we break that expectation; why should this one be any
different?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca