Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/1998 23:26:36
matthew green writes:
> i think this would be a great idea, in particular the
> newaliases/mailq links.

Thanks.

I've seen a lot of objections and random statements people have made
here. To answer them in no particular order:

1) You can't expect people building releases to do NO_SENDMAIL, and if
you want multiple programs that expect a /usr/sbin/sendmail to work
you have to have some mechanism here.
2) I originally proposed (in another context) a script that read an
/etc/mailer.conf file, but someone accurately said "why do that when a
link will do" and I now agree with them.
3) sendmail isn't going to be a package any time soon, and postfix is
too good not to put in the mainline.

Perry