Subject: Re: make(1) correctness
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/19/1998 19:35:30
Hi,

VaX#n8 wrote:
[...]
> The command marked "foo wasn't touched" was the subject of some gnashing
> of teeth and me irritating the author of ispell.  He has a rule in the
> Makefile which doesn't do anything in most cases.  Everything depends on
> its target, and so our make (what make are we using?) appears to say,
> "I ran the rule, so I will treat the target as modified".
>
> Apparently if the file is timestamped with the current second it
> will be treated as up-to-date, even if this (bogus?) dependency
> indicates it should be re-made.  This can be confusing:
[...]
> Incidentally, what's with BSD and Pmake?
> I noticed the 4.4BSD manuals have a paper on Pmake,
> but the manpages seem to be describing something else.

which version of make are you using? There has been a discussion
on current-users about the same topic. After this discussion
Christos Zoulas (Hi Christos, I haven't forgotten, that I want to
visit you, but right now my jobs leaves no time. I'll contact you
soon :-) fixed a couple of things in make. Maybe you
should try with the latest version of make and report again.

  Guenther