Subject: Re: Adding "fake" adduser ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/13/1998 16:47:59
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:18:39 +0200 (MET DST)  Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Well, serious, i think we *should* add the addnerd pkg to our base
> distrib instead.

If we do, it should be renamed to adduser, and use the files in
/usr/share/skel.

After using Solaris as well as some BSDish systems, I've also grown used
to the usermod, userdel and group* (for groups) commands as well.  It's
much easier to document in a procedures manual "useradd blah, blah" than
"vipw", "mkdir xxx", copy some files, ...

I'd be happy to look at what's available (Simon Gerraty's stuff also
comes to mind), and get something ready that may be included with the
base distribution (if the powers that be will allow it) if that's what
it takes to get the job done.

Simon  (Hmm, maybe I should have scanned the archives before committing
to that :).