Subject: Re: Speed of Ultra SCSI compared to Ultra DMA?
To: Jonathan Belson <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/02/1998 12:14:38
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> A kind soul recently gave me an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI card.
> I was wondering how much difference in performance I would
> get if I moved to SCSI from my current UDMA setup.

I've got a couple of SCSI systems and a couple of modern (1 year
old or so) IDE systems. I've noticed that the IDE systems, when
they run out of memory and need to swap a whack of it out, freeze
quite nicely for a few seconds (no mouse pointer movement or
anything). I've never seen this on a SCSI system.

I don't know if this is just me, or if it really is a SCSI/IDE
thing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.