Subject: Re: volunteers to fix catman?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/14/1998 23:21:42
Speaking of man.conf(5) and catman(8), et al, I just today noticed
another set of minor deficiencies in the man subsystem.  While it is
possible to read the manual pages for other machine architectures the
interface is a little hokey and hard to use (to say the least -- it
would be nice if there were a direct command-line flag to explicitly set
the desired machine architecture and override MACHINE, if set), and this
feature only extends to man(1) and not to apropos(1) or whatis(1).

I think it would be cool if makewhatis(8) also created separate (or
additional) *.db files for all possible machine architectures, and if
apropos(1) and whatis(1) were extended to understand the MACHINE
environment variable and whatever command-line flags might be added to
man(1) to compliment the use of the MACHINE environment variable.

Oh, and if I remember I'll submit a PR with a patch to add references to
makewhatis(8) where appropriate (unless someone beats me to it! ;-).

--
							Greg A. Woods