Subject: Re: MIDI player
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/10/1998 15:38:27
>> Are we saying that [/dev/midi including a midi file player] is
>> undesirable period, or just more than you want to do now?  I can
>> accept the latter, but I would really like to have the functionality
>> available at some point for the former.  (with appropriate
>> DONT_FILL_MY_KERNEL_WITH_CRUD options)

> ...the latter option simply being "omit the midi device from the
> kernel config file".

Um, I would hope not.  There's nothing wrong with someone who does have
serious userland MIDI stuff around wanting /dev/midi to be as
bare-bones as possible, but still wanting it in the kernel.

But really, shouldn't this be a separate line discipline for serial
ports or something?  MIDI can be run over any serial port that's
capable of the right baud rate - oh, and doesn't it need to do current
loop?  Whatever, /dev/midi seems shortsighted when on some machines
"any" serial port can do MIDI.  (I think NeXTen are like this, for
example, not that our NeXT port is all that developed yet.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca