Subject: Re: MIDI player
To: None <soren@t.dk>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/10/1998 17:44:50
> Actually, /dev/audioctl seems to me to be somewhat of a workaround
> for the lack of an audio player (but then, /dev/*ctl always
> smells of workaround to me). Is there a "real" use for /dev/audioctl
> that I haven't thought of?
/dev/audioctl is mostly there to be Sun compatible.
I find the audioctl program indispensible when I mess with
audio files.  But maybe I'm weird.

> Also, .wav files (probably the most important format (besides
> header-indifferent .au files) to have in a in-tree audio player)
> have binary headers which I think gives an audio player plenty
> justification.
The reason I've never proposed an audio player for the tree is that
there are so many audio formats.  MIDI, on the other hand, seems to
have a standardized file format.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't
have an audio player, though.
BTW, using `file' and `audioctl' you can play a lot of files.

        -- Lennart