Subject: Re: bin/5904: telnetd does not skip ttyv*
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/05/1998 11:19:10
On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: But that still leaves us with a disjointed userland WRT com ports..  I
: personally like i386's naming conventions for the com ports.. tty00..03  It's
: just annoying to have to say "well, if yer on an alpha, its either C or B, and
: a i386 is 00" and so on and so forth..  This is the kind of thing that breaks
: scripts, annoys users, and makes giving support difficult.

It's really useless to try to make this uniform.  (Just go look at how many
different _kinds_ of serial ports are on the amiga or vax ports and you'll
know why--they can obviously not use the same mnemonics.  And sparc has
known names used in SunOS--ttya and ttyb.)  We have to live with "if you're
on X port, your serial ports are tty??, if you have XYZ serial port type."