Subject: Re: bin/5904: telnetd does not skip ttyv*
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/05/1998 08:08:06
On 05-Aug-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
#
# : IMHO however.. this is broken.  The different ports shouldnt have different
# : ttyC's and ttyE's for comport names, they should all be the same and
# : invisible
# : to the user..
#
#  I think this has already been addressed on tech-kern and I believe the
#  outcome was to stick with what the already existing wscons port (alpha) was
#  using - ttyE.  At the very least, we know that we will not be using ttyw.

OK.. that makes sense for consoles..  (E, I don't get the mnemonic, but wotever)

But that still leaves us with a disjointed userland WRT com ports..  I
personally like i386's naming conventions for the com ports.. tty00..03  It's
just annoying to have to say "well, if yer on an alpha, its either C or B, and
a i386 is 00" and so on and so forth..  This is the kind of thing that breaks
scripts, annoys users, and makes giving support difficult.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html