Subject: Re: bin/5904: telnetd does not skip ttyv*
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/05/1998 08:04:23
> > 	telnetd tries to open /dev/ptyv0, if it does not exist
> >         (on i386 with pcvt), it skips other possible ptys
> >         Change src/libexec/telnetd/sys_term.c to use openpty()
> >         or exclude "v" from pty names.
>
> or: dedicate /dev/ttyc? to console ttys, thus releasing 'v' for pty use.
>
> since we are switching to "wscons" anyway, I think this makes sense, because
> 'ttyw?' is just the next letter after 'v' ...

That would require some logic in X servers to detect whether it should use
/dev/ttyc* or /dev/ttyv* .
FYI, telnetd now uses openpty(), so the change would be easier than before.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,