Subject: Re: lpd and filter programs
To: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/27/1998 06:22:16
According to Ian Dall:

> OK, I take that point. More often I see it the other way around though.
> The printer is connected to a stand alone print server or a host
> I don't have administrative control over.

I think a lot originally hinged on the assumption that either you would
find a cooperative administrator, or you should not be tampering with a
printer outside your administrative domain.

What's changed is that administrators are no longer cooperative and/or
sufficiently competent, but that does not mean that administrative
domains should have a big hole punched into them.

Do keep security in mind.

++L