Subject: Re: Shared object "" not found
To: Ross Harvey <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/1998 11:40:37
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Ross Harvey wrote:

: Interesting points. This subject comes up periodically when people haven't
: set the -rpath _at all_, and then want the and they advance the
: obvious it-should-be-configurable argument.

I actually want it for both reasons: the lossage (which I intend to do
linting in the pkg system for after figuring out your Fortran stuff ;), and
the configurability (relocatable binaries that aren't hard-coded,
particularly those that are cross compiled).

: One big problem with the approach is that it doesn't mix at all
: well with -rpath, so by using, you have to give up -rpath.

Since when?  Isn't LD_LIBRARY_PATH a fallback in case the rpath doesn't
match a real file?  Can't do the same thing - act as a "system
wide" LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?  (If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored when a
-rpath is set, that's Broken.  It should be a _fallback_.)

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.