Subject: lpd and filter programs
To: Matthias Scheler <>
From: David Gilbert <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/20/1998 16:05:22

Matthias> Is there any good reason why filters are not used for remote
Matthias> hosts? This makes it impossible to use automatic filter
Matthias> programs like "magicfilter" with a printer connected to a
Matthias> printer server or own ethernet interface.

The usual way to handle this is to create a 'fake' local printer that
has filters and then respools the job to the 'real' printer.  However,
I've always found this a rather kludgy way of doing things.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:             |  equal if and only if they |
|             |   are precisely opposite.  |