Subject: Re: Awk change in 1.3.2 (follow up)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/02/1998 19:26:35
> awk is in no way i386-specific, so it doesn't belong on port-i386.
> I've set replies to current-users, tho' tech-user might be better.

Thanks.  Perhaps tech-user is better, because this doesn't really
have anything to do with current, either.  So following your advice,
let's move what remains of this to tech-user.

> Anyway -- are you sure this isn't a POSIX feature?  If it is, then
> it's not a bug even if it's incompatible with historical (BSD, 7th Ed)
> Unix practice. "Welcome to the POSIX-zone".

I have no idea.  It seems possible that the effect of 'END {print}' is
unspecified.  No compliance claim is made in the NEWS item that summarizes
the change, which makes makes one suspect that it seemed like a cool
thing to do at the time.

The simple solution is to revert to 2.15.5, which is what I've done.

--Terry