Subject: Re: making pkgsrc patch sets (was: pkg/5617: Apache-1.3.0 packag
To: (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List) <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/23/1998 06:43:31
On 23-Jun-98 Greg A. Woods spoke unto us all:
# Who/what exactly offered the one-change-per-patch-file suggestion for
# pkgsrc modules?  Is there any justification for it that I've not yet
# encountered?  If not is there any reason why we cannot simply eliminate
# that suggestion and slowly revert to using just one patch file?
#

I would take up arms against that.

#1 head -2 patches/* tells me what files we are fiddling with

#2 Bob modifies his code, and integrates a fix we had in one of our patches,
releasing version x+.01  Now I just go and delete patch-ab (or wotever) and
things magicly work.  No ripping the patch apart with vi, or patching and
depatching to try and build a new one.. just one simple "rm"

#3 If I want to change the way we fiddle with file.c I just find the
appropriate patch, and replace it.  I dont have to recompile the whole big
patch file, or do surgery on it.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html