Subject: Re: -Dunix predefine
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/1998 14:55:39
> [L]ook at the set of systems which have been declared to have -Dunix!
> How many common programming features do they actually share?

Lots, as compared to, say, VMS, MS-DOS, VM/CMS, an embedded controller,
etc.

A few right off the top of my head:

- pipe()
- fork()
- a shell in /bin/sh
- a filesystem that's about as close to syntax-free as it gets
- a nonexistent text/binary distinction in stdio

We're so thoroughly indoctrinated in the UNIX way nowadays that it's
often hard to see other ways.  There's a sense in which I consider
myself fortunate that much of my larval stage was spent using VMS...and
unfortunate that it wasn't something even farther from the UNIX way.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca