Subject: Re: -Dunix predefine
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/1998 09:50:39
> While actually using "unix" as an #if selector these days is almost always
> going to be the wrong thing to do, deleting it would be messing about with
> a truly ancient tradition - and one upon which lots of programs rely.

So, keep it around, and make it that much easier to do the wrong
thing?

>From a portability perspective, again, I don't think it hurts
anything.  I mean, look at the set of systems which have been declared
to have -Dunix!  How many common programming features do they actually
share?  What use is the definition?

At worst, if needing -Dunix is the only problem that a program has,
you stuff -Dunix in the makefile.

However, i'd bet that 'long != 32 bits on all NetBSD ports', the
randomly migrating sys_errlist, etc. are all going to cause more
problems than the presence or lack of -Dunix.

cgd