Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/1998 01:47:13
[I'm just catching up some mail, and will try to sum up some replies into
this one mail]

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : What packages "should" install in the projectroot and why ?
> : Always wondered, would be interested to know the rationale..
>
> - Anything that uses app-defaults. [**]

Hm... from reading mails, I understand that this can be solved by setting
the APPLRESDIR(sp?) environment variable, but what if a user hasn't set
this?

The appropriate X lib (I dont' have an idea which one that is) might be
modified to not only search that one dir in X11BASE, but also one second
dir in $LOCALBASE, to find the appdef files we (or pkgsrc) installs
there.

If the user still wants yet another dir, he'd have either to recompile X,
or set the mentioned environment variable.

(That's what Todd said - look for the appdef file in several PREFIXes)

> - Anything that installs an X-specific program library.

Um, why shouldn't we install 3rd party, X-related libs into $LOCALBASE?
Sure we 'd have to make sure that they are found there then, but I guess
that would also be needed if installed in X11BASE, as the X config has to
be told that there's noe that new libXfoo and includes, that should be
used.

> - Anything that uses imake (because Imake.tmpl defines ProjectRoot). [*]

I've seend the host.def(sp?) file that was listed by Todd here, and if
that works, it should probably be integrated into our xsrc somehow, so it
can be used to install pkgsrc apps into $LOCALBASE easily.

(Beware that that behaviour should be available only on request, so users
that expect their X apps to really go into X11BASE don't get too
surprised!)

Someone should probably also do a full pkgsrc build with this on then...
(to test & iron out errors, _prior_ to committing things!)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>