Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: (Matthias Scheler) <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/1998 17:37:41
On 22-Jun-98 Matthias Scheler spoke unto us all:
# In article <XFMail.980621172946.root@garbled.net>,
#       Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> writes:
# [stuff about Xaw3d deleted]
#
# Let's not discuss about "Xaw3d" details. There other cases like "xpm"
# or "lesstif".
#

from /usr/local/lib on my machine:

libMesaGL.so.2.3 libkdeui.so.0.10 libXsprite.a libforms.a

(all these are from before the pkg system)

They all, and more work just fine.  When I used to grab some third party
software, and install it, I would just pull up the Imakefile, add the -L and -I
options that pointed to /usr/local and it worked.

The only one that takes some work is motif.  And I must admit, this machine
apparently has been upgraded since last time I fiddled with lesstif, and now
its not thier anymore..  But the point is that all these *other* x applications
work just fine, even though they point to libs not inside the X tree.  It just
takes a bit of proper setup..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html