Subject: Re: -Dunix predefine
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/1998 18:59:32
>This is, without a doubt in my mind, a perfect example of how to use
>a unix define.  Use it to section out things that are _definately not
>unix_ and do the vendor twiddles inside.

to put it more succinctly, windows nt is not unix, dos is not unix,
macos is not unix, vms is not unix, amigaos is not unix, and multics
is not unix.  but linux, sunos and solaris, sco, dgux, hpux, irix,
ultrix and aix are all unix.  as is netbsd.  regardless of whatever
qualifiers you put in front of the actual name (system 4 or bsd, etc),
or where they fit in the "family tree" (or not, in linux's case :),
they're all unix.

i imagine (although i have no way of knowing) that some guy somewhere
decided at one point that it would be cool if his compiler defined
this symbol for him and added it as a hack.  and then everyone else
saw it and knew that it was good.  who knows?  does anyone have some
20 year old at&t tapes lying around?

(just my $.02)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|