Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: Tim Rightnour , Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/1998 10:11:17
On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 06:23:16AM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> The point of this footnote was that I wanted this discussion to come up.  It
> seems to have overshadowed my original post.. But since it's here I'll deal
> with it.  Me and Hubert discussed this privately, and both agreed that we
> dislike the imake behavior of polluting the Xtree.  (Upgrading can become a
> nightmare!)

I definitely agree that user-added packages ought to go in /usr/local or
/usr/pkg, as appropriate... For what that's worth.

Of course, it's all moot for me right now, since the brand-spanking-new
machine I bought yesterday hasn't got working serial ports for a mouse,
or a supported graphics chipset. Yay! I'm glad I have screen, at any rate,
so that I can at least work... :)

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments