Subject: Re: -Dunix predefine
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/1998 06:51:17
On 21-Jun-98 Hubert Feyrer spoke unto us all:
# On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Ross Harvey wrote:
# > So, if I end up adding this to port-alpha, please no one panic...we can
# > remove it from all the ports together, but until (and if) this is done we
# > need to be the same.
#
# I second adding this, to get a consistant behaviour on all NeTBSD
# platforms. There's already one PR that complains about "unix" not defined
# on NetBSD/alpha, and I'm afraid that's not the last one.
#

To repeat my point, in bringing this little jihad up in the first point.. I
have to point back to the pkg which originally brought it to my attention..

Its a simple audio pkg, that is designed to work on both Msdos, and unix.  The
author, with careful use of a unix define, is able to quickly kill all the unix
code when compiled on dos, and vice versa.. System dependent attributes are
actually nested *inside* the unix define.

This is, without a doubt in my mind, a perfect example of how to use a unix
define.  Use it to section out things that are _definately not unix_ and do the
vendor twiddles inside.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html