Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/1998 06:23:16
On 21-Jun-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
# On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
#
# : My footnote, which I did omit.. is this.  I feel very strongly that nothing
# : should be installed in the X11R6 tree.  *ever*.
#
# So do I.  With the host.def above, and the XAPPLRESDIR variable, it looks
# like ${LOCALBASE} (i.e. /usr/pkg) can be used instead of ${X11BASE} for
# most, if not all, X packages.

It can.. I assure you.  Before the pkg system came to netbsd.  I installed
everything manually into /usr/local, and would do the following regiment:

ldconfig the new libs,
set up site.def to point motif stuff at /usr/local,
set the XAPPLRESDIR in the xdm server startup scripts

#
# Problem is, not everyone has this host.def, though a pkg could probably be
# made to install it, or install a "replacement" site.def that includes these
# modifications.  Or, a user can set X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in /etc/mk.conf to
# indicate that these modifications are available (probably the preferred
# option).

The point of this footnote was that I wanted this discussion to come up.  It
seems to have overshadowed my original post.. But since it's here I'll deal
with it.  Me and Hubert discussed this privately, and both agreed that we
dislike the imake behavior of polluting the Xtree.  (Upgrading can become a
nightmare!)

What we want to derrive from a public discussion, is a way that we can "fix"
netbsd's X implementation, to allow pkgs to go to /usr/pkg instead of forcing
them upon X11R6. Setting these things up in the NetBSD supplied X distribution
allows us to take advantage of that, and *completely* segregate third party
applications from NetBSD supplied applications, and allow me my nirvanna, which
is, /usr/X11R6 mounted read-only.

# There are some pre-configure pkg targets out there that use sed to
# substitute ${X11BASE} into Imakefiles; these need to be changed to use
# ${PREFIX} properly.  Once fixed, these sed manipulations would work with
# either ${X11BASE} or ${LOCALBASE} as ${PREFIX}.
#

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html