Subject: Re: X11 problems with pkgs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/20/1998 17:36:24
On 20-Jun-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
# On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Ronald Khoo wrote:
#
# : > a) pkgs that install, and should[1] install in /usr/X11R6
# :
# : Hm  You seem to be missing a footnote [1]
# :
# : What packages "should" install in the projectroot and why ?
# : Always wondered, would be interested to know the rationale..
#
# - Anything that uses app-defaults. [**]
# - Anything that installs an X-specific program library.
# - Anything that uses imake (because Imake.tmpl defines ProjectRoot). [*]
#
# [*] This is not always true, because I have additions that I have added to
# <site.def> that can dynamically redefine ProjectRoot simply by setting
# PREFIX in the environment.

I'd be veryested in seeing this, because I'm really sick of stuff getting in
and around my X11R6 tree.  It would be *really* nice if we could make
everything in the pkg system install into pkg, and leave a nice clean X11R6
tree.

# [**] Unfortunately, a *lot* of programs use app-defaults, which begs the
# question "Can we make handling of app-defaults files work with more than one
# ${PREFIX}?"

There is the environment variable: XAPPLRESDIR  which I believe can contain a
path variable.

My footnote, which I did omit.. is this.  I feel very strongly that nothing
should be installed in the X11R6 tree.  *ever*.  I think its reasonable to do
this, because environment settings, and proper setup of applications can make
them work just fine from /usr/pkg or whatever.  Imake is the only big culprit
that stuffs things in the X dirs, and a way that "fixes" this behavior would
be, IMHO, something worth adding to the NetBSD xsrc.

And as for libraries,  I have lesstif installed in /usr/local... and it works
just fine.. same with Xpm, and MesaGL.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html