Subject: mt asf with count 0
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/16/1998 00:28:22
  I was trying to automate a verify of my backup scripts.
  (I *will* switch to Amanda soon)

  I noticed two things:
	1. restore -t doesn't actually read to the end of the
	dump. It doesn't have to, it just reads as much as it
	needs to.
	I solved this by doing:
	dd ... | (restore -t ... && cat >/dev/null)

  I then stuck "mt asf $fileno" in my script.

	2. Oops... mt asf 0 isn't valid. Why? I looked at the code, and
	it seems simple to just omit the file space forward if count is
	zero.

  I still have a problem with my tape drive: dumping a large partition
(2Gb disk with 1.2Gb used) results in a SCSI error. If I do:
	ssh localhost dump ... | dd ofs=1024k of=/dev/nrst0

  then it works!!!
  I was giving dump -b 512, btw.

   :!mcr!:            |  Sandelman Software Works Corporation, Ottawa, ON
   Michael Richardson |	SSH IPsec: http://www.ssh.fi/. Secure, strong, international
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.