Subject: are you testing other y2k?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hank <hank@black-hole.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/12/1998 09:08:23
I was just reading http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/y2k.html, and thought I'd
point out that y2k doen'st involve only the 1999to 2000 rollover.  I don't
think this would be a problem with netBSD, but I think the page should be
modified to include two other y2k issues:

september 9th, 1999.  someprogramers used 9-9-99 as an unreachable end
condition, but in fact it is a valid date.

febuary 29th 2000, the first leap year.  (or the last leap year of this
century if you want to get too technical) which some incorrect algorythms
do not correctly handle.

Both of these problems are very real and common in the mainframe
enviroment I'm most fameriar with.  I don't currently have a netbsd system
to try them on myself, and in any case I'd expect them to effect userland
programs more then the core of netbsd.  Still anyone who is concerned
about y2k should also be concerned about those two dates.

--
      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com