Subject: RE:
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/03/1998 04:55:13
On 03-Jun-98 der Mouse spoke unto us all:
#
# What happens?  (a) that's a *signed* 32-bit integer; an *unsigned*
# 32-bit integer would carry us another 68-plus years, to 2106 if I got
# the arithmetic right; and (b) it's a 32-bit integer, not a "long".
#

I've never understood the logic of having made that a signed integer.  Was
there ever a point where it was imagined unix boxes would power time machines?

I do imagine however, there would be some odd cases where someone used the fact
that it was signed to perform some type of hideous math.  I'm sure we could
fully expect to have to rework some apps.  The point is largely moot for free
OS's like ours, assuming we aren't using alot of commercial apps.  The losing
occurs when you are stuck running a legacy machine made by a vendor not so free
with the source code.  Eventually, this will be someone else's problem.. not
ours.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html