Subject: forced to punt on xview
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/02/1998 21:10:59
For the past week or so I've been working dilligently on porting XView to
netbsd.  I used to have an old 1.0 library and set of bins that worked fine, (I
would kill for those now or better yet- the source!)

But alas.. no such luck..  Here is where I'm at:
Imported FreeBSD version 3.2.1 fixed all patches.
Found linux version with signifigant bugfixes, replaced with that, merged.
xview libs, clients and config all compile and work great.

problem: olvwm and xvnews don't work.  xvnews dumps core if you double click on
a newsgroup, olvwm doesn't even start.  My old 1.0 binaries used to work just
fine.. So I'm assuming there is a hidden bug in the library somewhere, or X has
changed somehow screwing it up.

If anyone wants to try to pick up where I left off.. I have done signifigant
work to integrate the linux version (heavily buxfixed beyond the freebsd one).
As far as I can tell, with rigorous testing, the xview std clients work just
fine, I just can't get any third party apps to work with it.  I cannot
determine a specific bug in the xview libs, so it may not be them at all.

I'm leaving it up to the pkg people to decide if they want me to submit what
I've done with xview.  If nothing happens on that end, and anyone else would
like to take a crack at it.. I'm more than willing to send you what I have,
just get in contact with me.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html