Subject: Re: fixing ifdefs and big patches
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/29/1998 09:48:11
On 29-May-98 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
# On Thu, 28 May 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
#
# I typically bundle files in the same source directory into the same
# patchfile.  There are several packages that, if you broke up the patchfiles,
# would end up with several dozen!  This is not _always_ a bad thing.
#

I can agree with that, and disagree with that.  For a pkg it is sometimes
easier to have them seprate, even if there end up being something like 50-80
patches.  Only because when the author decides to up his version, and all your
patches go into fuzz, its *alot* easier to not have to wade through them to
figure out which one to fiddle.  Especially if only *one* file changed.

I think its easier when you are doing something like a version patch, where you
*know* the source won't change under you, and you are patching it up to a
higher level.  There is no good reason to break one of those apart other than
to annoy people.

But it's moot because I think our official policy on packages is that diffs must
be broken up, and I'm lazy.  ;)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html